Tidy tubs!

Made it Monday friends!!
I'm super excited about my "made it" this week! 

Do you all have the constant problem of paper scraps littering the floor like I do?!
I LOVE me some cut and paste activities - what kindergartener (or 1st? or 2nd grader?!) doesn't need to strengthen their fine motor skills? But the problem I have is.. the disaster my room is left in afterward! I have a classroom helper whose job is to collect trash...keep the room clean, etc, but when you've got 20 kids cutting teensy little bits of paper, it's inevitable that a lot is going to fall through the cracks!

So - when I "craft it up" (as the hubby says) at home, I have a bag that I hang over the corner of my chair and put all my scraps in. When it gets full, I take it out to the trash can. So why not incorporate this into the classroom?? I bought a $1 tub for each of my tables at Dollar Tree and attached a little sign on them, tied some ribbon, and waaahla! Tidy tubs!
I will keep these tubs on a shelf and when we are doing cut and paste activities, put one at each student table. This way kids aren't getting up several times to be mischievous throw their trash away and every little scrap will make it to the trash can. After the activity is over and all scraps are in the tidy tubs, I will have one student go and dump it into the big trash cans. Problem solved! The tidy tubs go back on the shelf and will make their next appearance when the scissors come out!
Of course - I'm sharing the labels with you! There are two different options in two different sizes so {hopefully!} they will fit most tubs that you would find at the dollar store!
{click on the picture to snag your labels!}

I've been working away on digging junk out of my closet my classroom getting things ready for the year and also made these little cuties! {from Amy at Step into 2nd grade}
 Didn't they turn out adorable?! Can't wait to put them up on my closet door!
Now head back over to Tara's blog to check out what every one else is creating!


Photobucket

31 comments

  1. I just got those bins the other day at the Dollar Tree for the EXACT same reason. . .how CRAZZZY is that ? ! ? ! Now I get to craft it up. Thanks so much for the freebie, I'm pinning you right now. YOU ROCK!!!
    ✰ Stacy

    Simpson Superstars

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! I see a trip to dollar tree in my future!
    Ms. Kerri and her Krazy Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just bought tubs at the Target dollar spot to make my own little "tidy tubs", but I didn't think to add a label. Everything is cuter with a label! And ribbon!!! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so funny! I have 5 red tubs like that just sitting in my classroom without anything in them. Now I know what to do!! Thank you for the awesome idea!! :)
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much. I am totally making your tidy tubs!!

    Tamara

    Life's A Beach in 1st Grade

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your tidy tub labels, I'm all about making anything cuter!! Your cupcakes are adorable too!

    Aimee
    Primarily Speaking

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this idea! Paper scraps DO tend to get out of hand at times, so these will be perfect!!! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your tidy tubs. Thanks for sharing the label!

    Brandi
    Success in Second Grade
    Don’t forget to check out My Summer in Pictures Linky Party

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those came out really cute! I may have to make some of my own Tidy Tubs with my owl theme. By the way, I linked up to you and your Owl Table Signs that you shared from earlier this summer for my Monday Made it. Check it out!
    http://fancyfreein4th.blogspot.com/2012/08/monday-made-it.html

    Also, I am having a 300 follower giveaway with lots of goodies!

    Layla
    Fancy Free in Fourth

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG love the Tidy Tubs!!! Genius! I definitely will be doing this! I hate scraps all over the floor, but I also hate when the kids keep getting up to throw away paper!!!
    Thank you so much for sharing!! :)

    Blessings of Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! What a great idea. I'm going to have to make these as well.

    Ms. Fiorini’s Stadium

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your tidy tubs!! My to do list just keeps growing!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have those bins! Tidy Tubs, here I come! :)
    ❤Teri
    A Cupcake for the Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  14. I started using garbage pails last year, and my kiddos loved them!! I did, too!! No more mess on the floor!! Yay! Yours are precious!
    Laura
    Peace, Love, and First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are so cute!!! I know your classroom is just going to be adorable!!

    Come check out my new Clip Art blog!!
    Tammy

    1...2...3...Teach With Me
    Dots of Fun! Clip Art

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just picked up some of the same tubs at Dollar Tree last weekend......didn't really know what I would be doing with them until now!!!

    Thank you so much for sharing the labels!!!

    Dee
    Mrs. B's Nook

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe! I did the same thing! Mine were sitting for a few weeks before I decided waht to do with them! :)

      Delete
  17. Can I ask what program you use to make your labels and where you get your graphics? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you look at the last page of the tidy tubs pack there are a bunch of credits where I bought the graphics. Other than that, I just use power point to insert images and text boxes and manipulate! It's fairly easy!

      Delete
  18. I just bought trash tubs at dollar store today!!! Thanks for labels! Perfect:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks so much for the labels! Just downloaded and printed them from TPT! Left a rating there too! :)

    ~ Amy

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a FABULOUS idea! Thanks for the awesome idea and the freebie!
    Jean
    Diving Into 2nd Grade

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have placed "trashcans" on my Kdgn tables for many years, but I LOVE the new name and the "decor" added to the tub to make it more fun.
    Thanks for sharing!!!! I cannot wait to put these together to match my "Wild" room.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have used sand pails bought at Michael's for $1 - and the color coordinate with my groups

    ReplyDelete
  23. For those of you with even less of a budget then the dollar store...use recycled milk jugs. I had the recycled jugs on each team's table, along with a bin of extra reading books (for when the team was done with their assigned tasks). Much cheaper, and hard to believe but I pre-dated dollar stores in my teaching days. It kind of tickles me to see the beautiful classrooms on Pinterest now. I so admire you all, but in my day we didn't even have books sometimes. I bought a cheap xerox, and copied my one student copy for my classroom of 32, second and third graders. Made pillows out of bright towels, haunted the Scholastic outlet, scrapped together my ONE computer out of parts leftover, and still had a room that a veteran teacher coined as, "Disneyland with learning". Still, it was soooo rewarding to see those breakthroughs in understanding with your students. You're inspiring teachers, and your classrooms rock!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to chat with me!

Back to Top