Daily 5 Chapter 3

shhhhhhhhhh....
 Both, BOTH! of my babes are asleep right now!
This NEVER happens! Ella has outgrown her nap but we've had swimming lessons for 2 weeks straight and we also swam this afternoon so they are both tuckered out!

I've been reading the Daily 5 and following along with the book study but haven't had a chance to link up yet! Melissa from Mrs. Freshwater's class is hosting the study this week!
Now... I am a newbie when it comes to Daily 5. I've been doing Debbie Diller- style stations for the last 3 years, so I am SUPER excited about changing things up and improving upon what I already have in place. I went to a Daily 5 workshop a few weeks ago and everything about it sounds like it will fit perfectly in my classroom! I want my students to be independent and become better readers, who doesn't?!?

First of all - my gathering place. I use my large carpet as my gathering place -where we begin the morning with calendar, our morning message, etc. Although this will be my first year doing Daily 5, I have always had a gathering place. I think this is a lot easier for us Kindergarten teachers to implement because it is how we teach anyway! I absolutely love to be on the floor with my kiddos. I've been known to lay down and teach on my stomach during small groups. They love for me to be at their level! This is a picture of the awesome carpet all of the K and 1 teachers have at my school. I don't know what I would do without it! I will use this carpet to bring my kids back, do the mini-lessons (it's right in front of my Smart board) and check-in. I had some "pick me" type of sticks to choose kids to share and I will do the same for Daily 5. I love the ones that Melissa made!

Now this... 
This will take me a while to figure out! I've chosen the books my kids read based on our basal reader's system. I think it is definitely important for our students to choose their own "on level" books so that they can build up their stamina. I think at the very beginning of the year I will have 3 books for them in their book boxes - two right at level and one above.  This way while we are all getting accustomed to the Daily 5 they still have some choice out of their books. I know, I know... this is not completely an "I PICK" situation.. but it is going to take time! And I only have one set of leveled readers! I will have to build more of a supply!

Ok...my favorite! I L.O.V.E. anchor charts! My kids can tell you exactly what expository text, or setting, characters, landforms, etc. are because of the anchor charts I have plastered all over my walls! I always have them help me to create them (either by giving me ideas or actually writing on the actual chart) so that they are "owning" their learning. My friend Stephanie is a master at anchor charts, and I learned from her! I can't wait to start my Daily 5 anchor charts with my kids that first week of school! Here are some that I have created in the past:
Since I've moved rooms... I'm going to need to find a blank wall that I can fill up over the year!

As primary teachers, we know all about this one.. especially Kindergarten! We don't expect our kids to come in knowing how to act in a classroom and cafeteria, or how to sit and read for 30 minutes(!) So.. just like the sisters say to build up their stamina, it goes along with everything we do during a day. It takes practice, practice, practice! My kids love it when I make mistakes or say the wrong things (they were STILL talking about that time I told them to put their chairs on top of their lockers at the end of the year - it happened, like, in November!) it just shows them that we do not know everything, either, and we have to practice to be better, too!

I'm ready to hear about how everyone will set the stage for their students next week! If you already practice the Daily 5 in your classroom, I would love to hear how you do it!
Photobucket

7 comments

  1. Love your anchor charts! I'd LOVE to go to a Daily 5 workshop and learn more about it! However, I'm learning so much by reading everyone's posts on this topic. =) Great reflections...thanks for sharing!
    Bobbie

    The Daily Cupcake…A Kindergarten Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love anchor charts. Yours look great!!
    Robynn
    BusyBees

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited to read everyone's responses on the Daily 5! Thank you for sharing. I just found your blog and I am so glad that I did, I love it here!
    Come by my blog when you get a chance!
    Your newest follower,
    Vanessa
    Kindergarten Schmindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did the same thing when teaching "I PICK" to my second graders. In the beginning I placed a few books below, on, and above there level. As we were building our stamina, I would listen to them read a book they had chosen from their book box then asked whether they thought it was a good fit book. Another thing that makes Daily 5 great for primary students is that they learn there is more than one way to read a book: read the pictures, read the words, or retell a familiar story (great for books you've recently read aloud). Good luck implementing the Daily 5 in your classroom. I really enjoyed it last year, and will be using CAFE this year as the framework of my reading instruction.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did the same thing when teaching "I PICK" to my second graders. In the beginning I placed a few books below, on, and above there level. As we were building our stamina, I would listen to them read a book they had chosen from their book box then asked whether they thought it was a good fit book. Another thing that makes Daily 5 great for primary students is that they learn there is more than one way to read a book: read the pictures, read the words, or retell a familiar story (great for books you've recently read aloud). Good luck implementing the Daily 5 in your classroom. I really enjoyed it last year, and will be using CAFE this year as the framework of my reading instruction.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to chat with me!

Back to Top