Story elements

Happy Sunday friends!

We've been working *really* hard on story elements- especially setting and characters, and beginning/ middle/ end in my classroom lately!

I introduce these basically on the first day of school- as soon as we start reading and my kids know it like the back of their hand by this time in the year!

I introduce setting first with this anchor chart:

And I introduce characters with this anchor chart:

Then, after we read each story we go back and talk about all the story elements. 
Now- this year I have a Smart Board so I have a file I just pull up and we insert everything into it, but this was a picture from last year. As the year goes on, I let my kids come up and help draw with me. Can you guess what this story is?? 

I wish I had a video of us doing this- it's very interactive. My mentor teacher when  I was student teaching taught this to me (she is AMAZING!) We have a sound effect for each story part- After setting and characters we chant what the anchor charts say- the "star" of the show *main character* (like an announcer introducing the show host) after wish we hug ourselves and wish really hard.  Problem is all their favorite... we say "dun dun duunnn" like a suspense movie and for resolution we all pretend to have a magnifying glass out.

This helps my kiddos out *SO* very much in retelling (which we all know is a huge Kindergarten skill) and eventually they will become masters at summarizing! 

Something that I'm working on is a big puzzle for my kids to be able to use in retelling. Each piece has a story element on it- I'm going to blow it up poster size, laminate, etc. and use it for kids to come up and hold the piece to help retell. (now... I realize I am missing the rising action/ climax/ etc.... but we are kindergarten, here!)
We've used this as a worksheet and cut up and glued back together before- the kids love it! Feel free to snag it if you'd like! {click on the picture}

Photobucket

15 comments

  1. I just blogged about story elements a little while ago! These are some great ideas- definitely like the idea of it being a puzzle :)

    ✰Amber
    Sparkles , Smiles, and Student Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have shared some wonderful ideas -- thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, sweet friend! You are just fabulous in your ideas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks wonderful...I am sure the kids love it. Thanks for sharing.

    Cindy
    Granny Goes to School

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is perfect for my students!! I can't wait to use it! Thanks! :)
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful ideas! Thank you! And I just love "The Mitten."

    Heather (heathernnance@yahoo.com)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing! What a great way to make it fun! Amber Osterman
    Kindergarten Rocks Blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to see a video of you and your kids chanting. It sounds like a wonderful idea that I would love to see in action. I love the puzzle too!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your anchor charts and your story elements graphic organizer! Thanks!
    Sarah
    Sarah's First Grade Snippets

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE the puzzle idea! Even older kids can use this one. Thanks for the freebie, friend!
    Nicole
    Teaching With Style

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the puzzle idea too!! I also love your sound effects idea! What a great way for students to always have a reminder of what each element is! So cute!

    Rachael
    The Classroom Game Nook

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great idea!! Thanks for sharing!!

    ღDeAnne
    First Grade and Fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very Cute! I use something similar
    http://alwaysalesson.com/?s=anchor+charts

    Kids are so visual! Who are we kidding...so are we!


    Always A Lesson

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to chat with me!

Back to Top