MLK Day FUN!

Happy Saturday!

We worked on MLK all this week in Social Studies. My kids really enjoyed learning about him and how we can all make the world a better place! I just love the thoughts of Kindergarteners!

My blogging buddy Erica {Texas teacher!!} had a fabulous post about Black History month last year that I snagged this idea from (thank you Erica!!)

We started by reading "The Colors of Us" by Karen Katz. I did not have the book, so we watched it on YouTube.
We looked at our skin and talked about how we are all different on the outside but the same on the inside. We talked about our similarities, and "think, pair, shared" with a friend. Then we looked at the skin on our arms and brainstormed some names from the book to name our skin colors. I had all the butterscotches stand together, all the fudges, all the cinnamons, etc. and then after that the kids in their groups compared skin colors. Even those who all labeled themselves "sugar cookies" were not the same!! They loved this! There was some great discussion about diversity!

We then mixed our own skin colors with white, brown, and yellow on top of our hand.
After we found that "just right" color, they used their finger to paint a little stick figure of themselves.
I love how these turned out and the wonderful discussion about diversity it created! We decided that MLK was a pretty bright man and that we are grateful that we no longer have to be separated by our color!
Photobucket

9 comments

  1. Thank you for sharing the wonderful idea of creating their skin color with paint. I liked how you had them do it on their hand so they could really get that color. I'm definitely going to remember this for next year or maybe even later on in the school year this year.

    Erin
    www.missandersonkinder.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really cool. That would have been a terrific ART project..I'm going to send my art teacher this blog post:))

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute activity! I love how you had them create their skin color by mixing the paints. Love, love, love, this idea! Thanks for sharing.

    Cara
    The Teacher's Backpack

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love, love, LOVE this Nicole! We have school on Monday (well, that is if we don't get the major snowstorm that is headed our way...fingers crossed!), so I'm sticking this in my plans! I love "The Colors of Us" too. This is such a great way to use the story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad it went well!!!! Sprinkles to you, Nicole!!!

    Erica
    Sprinkles to Kindergarten
    erica_crowder0612@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like how you mixed the paint to find their skin color! Cute idea!
    Michelle
    Apples and ABC's

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay pinning this for next year! We also did an activity that showed outsides are different but insides are the same with brown and white chicken eggs. It worked! But I like the paint ideas as well. Thanks so much for sharing!
    Shibahn
    Mrs. Landry’s Land of Learning

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to chat with me!

Back to Top