Wockets?!

Y'all... Spring Break can NOT come any faster! I have been so exhausted lately!
On a bright note... our house is under contract!! Woot woot! It is under a contingency that the buyers' house closes all like it is supposed to. God willing, though, we are going to be moving out of our house in a month. 
eeeek! Stress central!

Plus, this was our first house. Ella was only 6 months when we bought it and Luke was born into it. We've made wonderful neighbor friends {Ella's BFF lives across the alley from us} and we've just accomplished a lot in the time we've been here. Bittersweet for sure.

Then.. we went to look at apartments. See, we live in a college town. There are TONS of apartments. But the average age of people living in them is, like,  20. There are 2 apartment complexes that are on our side of town. 2! Everything else is sketchy. Maybe I'm spoiled. Nonetheless, it might be an trying interesting 6 months. {hopefully it's not too much longer!}

Ok, off of my saga. We've been doing Dr. Seuss activities all this week. {am I allowed to say that?! Are the DS police going to come hunt me down for copyright?! Maybe I will speak in code for the rest of this post ;)} And my kids have been eating. it. up! We love some DS in Kindergarten!

We read "Bartholomew and the Oobleck" over the past 3 days in class. My kids could've read it in one sitting they were so enthralled with it, but I was trying to drag it out to maximize the learning! We made predictions about the oobleck. We weren't quite sure what in the world oobleck was, and how it felt! Most of my kids went with "squishy, gooey, or sticky" on their post-its.
After reading the book, we made oobleck {1 cup-ish cornstarch to 1 1/2 cups-ish water plus a few drops of green food coloring} and we got to experience it first hand. My kids LOVED this. (with shouty capitals!) Is it a liquid? A solid? Is it icky? Does it move by itself?! We had SO many questions about it!
 After experiencing the oobleck, we brainstormed adjectives to describe the oobleck and what we learned about it. For times sake, I ended up writing our learning down myself as we discussed.  {blue sticky notes}
We also read "There's a Wocket in my Pocket". I foresee myself reading this several times over the rest of the year. Nothing gets a kindergartener giggling like nonsense words! Nothing!
We all chose an object in the classroom to make a silly rhyming word with. We brainstormed, and I wrote them down so we could have correct spelling. I promise, parents, I know there is no such thing as a flowendar! {click HERE to snag up the free writing sheet}
 "There's a wook on my book"
"There's a flowendar on my calendar"

We also made little pockets and used our imaginations to illustrate a wocket- or a zocket, or a trocket, or a nocket. You get the picture! ;)

How do you know we've have a good week? The mess! ha! Hope the rest of your week is great!
Photobucket

8 comments

  1. We made grockets, quockets, lockets, bockets, and shockets too! So fun!

    Amy
    mellosmemos@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. We should have shared our lesson plans for this week. We just wrapped up our pocket booklets and are going to do our oobleck tomorrow. Love your pictures!
    Robynn
    BusyBees

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you guys had a lot of DS fun!! And you're right... a messy classroom is definitely the sign of a great, learning-filled week! :)

    Molly
    Lessons with Laughter

    ReplyDelete
  4. We lived in a hotel for two weeks between houses. Definitely NOT fun! At least I didn't have to clean...

    Dinae
    Fifth in the Middle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing! So cute!! Good luck with all the moving!!
    Amy :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love love love your wocket paper! That is my favorite Dr. Seuss book. It is the first Dr. Seuss book I remember reading as a child. Thanks so much for the paper and I am planning on using it to have my lovlies write story problems.

    Alyse
    Keep Calm and Apple On

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE your blog. I don't know how I didn't find it sooner! I'm your newest follower here and on TpT.

    Pencils, and Crayons, and Books! Oh, My!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay for a house under contract! I live in a college town, too, and it's defintely tricky to find apartments that aren't student apartments. I hope it all goes smoothly for you!

    Jenny
    Luckeyfrog's Lilypad

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to chat with me!

Back to Top