Measurement: area edition

Hey guys!
We've been busy studying area this week in math. I *love* teaching measurement because it is so hands-on and leaves a lot of opportunities for higher thinking. It takes a kid's natural curiosity and encourages it! 

Most of the ideas that I used this week came from Kindergarten Kindergarten. She has some SERIOUSLY fabulous ideas and she's in Texas, too! :) 

I made this (semi) anchor chart to pose the problem to my students:
This problem causes a LOT of discussion and really gets their little minds thinking. We share with our partner and I write their thinking down on the chart.

Then, I begin by giving my kids baggies of shape tiles. We trace the border with our fingers and emphasize "border" and then touch the "surface area". I always use this opportunity to do "mirror with words" and give my kids the definition with motions. 
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9UlJnYD3dZGTElNOHpRMThmWjg/edit?usp=sharing 
 {click the picture to snag the anchor chart}

In the baggie, I have several like-shapes that are various sizes. I ask the kids how I could be able to find which one has the larger area. We discuss, they practice, and then we teach a partner which shape has more/less area and justify their answer.
Then, I give my students some "real life" manipulatives. Easiest thing, ever! I place the book bins in the middle of their tables and let them choose which ones to compare. This leaves room for a LOT of discussion and academic vocabulary!
Tomorrow we will begin exploring measuring area with nonstandard units. Stay tuned for more to come!

No comments

Thanks for taking the time to chat with me!

Back to Top